New Address: 330 Front Street West, Suite 104 | Toronto, Ontario | M5V 3B7 | 416 369 4165

NOTICE:  After encountering a recent intensification of the challenges facing mid-sized law firms in Canada, Minden Gross regrets to announce that the firm will be winding down operations after over 70 years of service. NOTE: Starting MARCH 1, 2024, we have a new mailing address: 330 Front Street West, Suite 104, Toronto, ON  M5V 3B7. 

News & Events

Do you use a trademark in Quebec? Is your trademark in a language other than French?

Dec 01, 2022

By: Sepideh Nassabi - Trademark and Intellectual Property Group

Image: Sepideh Nassabi -  Litigation LawyerIf so, you should be aware of changes coming into force on June 1, 2025, that will impact the way you are able to use your trademark. Staring June 1, 2025, only trademarks that are registered with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) do not need to be accompanied by a French version, unless the French version is also registered with CIPO. If you do not have a registered trademark, this is particularly important for you.

These changes mean that a trademark in a language other than French can only be used on products or in the provision of advertising or  providing services, if:

  1. The non-French trademark is registered with CIPO; and,
  2. There is no corresponding French version of the trademark registered with CIPO.

There are financial and legal consequences for failing to abide by this new rule once it comes into force.

If you do not have a registered trademark, it is imperative that you start the process to register your non-French trademark now as there is a significant backlog at CIPO. In fact, if the backlog continues, it could take 4-5 years for a trademark application to pass through the various steps and reach registration.

To find our more, or if you have questions regarding your trademark or intellectual property, or an infringement of your intellectual property rights, please contact Sepideh Nassabi, lawyer and registered trademark agent, at

This article is intended to provide general information only and not legal advice. This information should not be acted upon without prior consultation with legal advisers.