Tax and Wills and Estates lawyer Matthew Getzler spoke on "Business Succession Part 1: Effectively Using Shareholder Agreements for Estate Planning Purposes" on February 3, 2021, as part of the Ontario Bar Association's Institute Series and its Serving the Family: Critical Insights on Issues Impacting Families in Corporate, Estates and Family Law virtual conference. Matthew presented alongside Errol Tenenbaum of Robins Appleby LLP.
The web series covered:
- Shareholders agreements and how they can be a vital element of business succession and estate planning for small businesses
- Key advice for drafting shareholders agreements that align with the estate plan
- How to guarantee income from a testamentary trust to ensure a minimum income threshold
- Important considerations in gifting shares to family members
- Why family members need a shareholders agreement